Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Somebody 'Splain It To Me...

...cuz I just don't get it.

I recently had my car serviced--just a normal 3,000 mile check-up. Anyway, the car dealership has been calling to do a survey on how my service call went. They've called when I'm not home.

So it goes something like this:

Ring. Ring.

(answering machine clicks on) "You've reached xxx. We can't take your call right now. Please leave a message at the beep."

Beep.

"Hello, this is xxx, calling from XYZ Car Company. May I please speak to xxx?"

And then they wait.

I come home and listen to the message and end up doing exactly what they did--I talk to my answering machine.

It goes something like this:

(listen to the message)

"Why are you asking to talk to me? You got my @#&%*! answering machine, you nimwit."

I must say, the whole thing doesn't give me a lot of faith in the intelligence of the employees of the company. I've gotten 3 calls this week exactly like this--from 3 different people.

Oy.

I guess they're not listening to the message part, and just start talking when it sounds like they've rung through. Is that it?

Whatever it is, it's making me nuts.




"It takes two to get one in trouble." ~Mae West

5 comments:

Em said...

That's too funny!

You should call them back when you know they're closed and do the same thing.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say maybe their machine was calling your machine, but if it's three different voices, I guess that's not it. Weird!

Anonymous said...

They might have an automated dialing system like telemarketers do, that connects them several seconds after the phone is answered. They may not even have heard the message.

What gets me is when technology makes it not just difficult, but impossible to get anything done. I had a customer once who needed to phone the Amex customer service line. He was from the U.S., and of course we were here in Cnuckyland, so he had to dial the collect number rather than the 1-800. So there we were, both of us listening as Telus Long Distance's automated collect call connection system argued with Amex's automated customer service answering system.

"This is Telus Long Distance. You have a collect call from "X". To accept the charges, press one now."

And at the same time: "This is American Express Customer service holine. To report a lost or stolen card, press one now. To talk to a service representative, please press zero."

"This is Telus long distance. Your response was invalid. Please press one to accept the charges. If you are not using a touch-tone phone, simply say "yes."

"If you would like to access your American Express billing information, press four. To hear a repeat of the menu, press the pound key."

Five minutes of that, and the poor guy threw up his hands and left.

All I can say is if your mechanics are stupid, that might be a good thing. It's only the clever ones who tell you you need to pay a thousand bucks for a new CV joint on your rear wheel drive car, or that your flux capaciter needs an overhaul.

Sam said...

This is just too funny! Don't you just love it when other people look dumb? (Helps us forget when we do) lol

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, y'all, maybe they read my blog, cuz I haven't gotten a call since. *G* But, kis, I don't want stupid mechanics. I want smart mechanics who can fix my car. The ones who are being a bit dense are the customer service reps.

And Sam, ya know, I must've looked a bit silly yelling at my answering machine. :)