Tuesday, September 19, 2006

International Talk Like A Pirate Day

Since 2002, there's been an International Talk Like A Pirate Day on September 19th. Did you know that? I didn't. I first read about it on Fal's blog on Sunday, then on Jenna's yesterday. Apparently, two friends established it because... I don't know why. They picked September 19th because it was the birthday of one of the men's ex-wives and so would be easy for him to remember.



So, strap on your eyepatch, put the parrot on your shoulder, and get ready to walk the plank.


Hey, I gotta tell you... I'd walk Johnny Depp's plank any day!

Aargh, matey.






"Me, I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for, you can never predict if they're going to do something incredibly stupid." ~Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

10 comments:

Sam said...

That was hilarious! Aarrggg!

I was a sailor for 10 years - did you know that "minding your p's and q's" came from sailors?

Dus ya knows whats its means, me matey?

Sherrill Quinn said...

There's my Navy man! Hey, Sam! :) I have no idea what "minding your p's and q's" means--at least from a sailor's point of view. Enlighten me, please. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Hey, Emma! This is the first I've ever heard of Talk Like a Pirate Day--yo ho ho!

-Dirty Rose

Sherrill Quinn said...

Okay, can somebody please tell me why, on Talk Like a Pirate Day, I have the frickin' Lumberjack song rolling through my head? You know it:

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay. Work all night and I sleep all day..."

Phffft.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Or is it the other way around?

"I sleep all night and I work all day"

Aargh. I can't even get my lumberjack song right...

Anonymous said...

Avast, me hearties! Pirates seem to be taking over the blogosphere today. :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Because it's so much fun, Tori! Aargh!

Sam said...

"Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.
I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lava-try.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.
I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars.
I chop down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa!"

I love Monty Python!

Sam said...

Okay, Sherrill, Minding your P's and Q's.

Well, When sailors were getting ready to go to sea they were usually broke and had to eat and drink "on account." The barkeep would write on a chalkboard each sailors name and how many Pints and Quarts of beer/ale/or whatever they drank. You never wanted to drink more than you were going to make on the next job so you had to mind your P(int)s and Q(uart)s.
:-)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Sam, I love Monty Python, too. "But I don't like Spam!" LOL

And thanks for the education on "minding your p's and q's". I didn't know that. :)