Thursday, October 22, 2009

Book Nook

Barnes & Noble has rolled out their challenge to Amazon in the form of the Nook. With an additional memory card, the Nook can hold 17,500 books. Can you imagine what a home library would look like with 17,500 paper books?!? (My dream library, for one, with floor to ceiling built-in bookshelves crammed full of lovely, lovely books. *sigh* LOL) According to B&N, if you turn off the wireless 3G connection, you won't have to recharge the Nook for 9 days. You could vacation without lugging around the charger.

One of the most interesting features to me is the lending capacity. With a paper book, you can loan it to a friend, let them read it, badger them until they remember to return it to you, then you can read and enjoy it again. Well, you can do the same thing with the Nook--loan one of your books to a friend. At this point you can only lend each book one time, but that's better than nothing, right? It makes me wonder if it might cut down on pirating to a certain extent.

The Nook will be available at the end of November (just in time for Christmas! Yay!) You can check it out here.

2 comments:

Colleen Love said...

I am sooo with you on that one! I have begged for some custom shelves that are nice and narrow for my naughty novels. Hmmm, maybe if I beg for a little Nook(ie) I might get it. :D hehe. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. lol

Looks like an awesome little gadget!

C~

Rebelle said...

I would love one, but I live in Canada. :-( I wish we could get one here, I may have to go the the US to do some Christmas shopping for ME!!!