Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tipsy Tuesday

On Saturday, my local RWA chapter had our monthly meeting and best-selling author Christina Sky spoke to us about using Christopher Vogler's The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers. (This book is based on a memo that Mr. Vogler wrote while analyzing scripts for the Walt Disney Company in the '80s.) She had a lot to offer, and I took notes like a crazy person. While I have read The Writer's Journey (and have a copy on my bookshelf in my home office), I don't usually consciously follow it when I'm plotting a book.

At various times during her talk I found myself thinking, "Oh. I don't do that...(maybe I should?)" or "Oh, I did do that..."

I do agree that Vogler's book is a must-read for writers. And if you follow his guidelines, your story will be that much stronger (and better). So if you haven't read The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, you should.

And, as always, use what works for you and toss out the rest.

No comments: