Saturday, September 08, 2007

A New Use For Prophylatics

Two weeks ago today I fell at work--had beautiful new shoes on and came down on the edge of the heel. Went pitching forward, down on one knee, XL Sprite clutched in one hand... Happy to say I didn't spill my drink! LOL I did, however, somehow overextend the middle finger of my right hand. I now have what's known as "mallet finger"--I snapped the tendon that runs along the top of that last knuckle (the one closest to my fingertip) and so the fingertip droops down. The treatment is to have it continuously splinted for six weeks. "Continuously", meaning I can't take it off at all.

Needless to say, it makes bathing and washing my hair somewhat of a challenge. I tried putting a baggie over my hand with a rubber band around my wrist to seal it and hold it on. While it kept my finger dry, I couldn't hold onto a washcloth (it just slid all over my palm), and it really wasn't conducive to washing my hair either. So then I tried wrapping kitchen plastic wrap around my finger and securing it with a rubber band at the bottom. Worked well when all I did was wash my hair, but when I got in the bathtub and had my hand down in the water...well, the foam on the inside of the splint and the wrap holding it onto my finger got soaked.

Now what? I really enjoy taking baths--have never really been a shower person. Then I see...a condom. Pretty purple one I got from Ellora's Cave (in a matchbook cover that says "Got Sex?"). Hmmm. Because the condom is lubed, I once again wrapped my finger in plastic wrap, then rolled the condom down and secured it at the bottom of my finger with a rubber band. It works great when I wash my hair. I've been taking showers and it's worked fine there as well. We'll see if it works tonight when I take a bath.

Necessity is the mother of invention, you know. Or is it desperation...?

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Well, I'd like to see a picture of that! hahaha

Sherrill Quinn said...

Maybe I should take a picture, eh? LOL It's pretty comical.

Unknown said...

LOL!! That's hilarious Sherrill!! Hope you feel better soon!!

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie. It doesn't hurt at all--hasn't hurt, not even when it happened. It's just really inconvenient! :)

Anonymous said...

Go to your local restaurant and ask the cook if he has some spare "finger condoms". We used them all the time when I was a cook. They fit perfectly, and keep your finger nice and dry.

And they're not ribbed or lubed, either.

Sherrill Quinn said...

kis, I didn't even know they made finger condoms. Although, now that I think on it, I could probably cut the thumb out of a large pair of medical gloves and use it with a rubber band at the bottom to hold it on and keep the water out. No more Saran Wrap! *G*