Friday, September 07, 2007

A Break From Writing

Just for a moment, let me put my Human Resources hat and give some free advice on job interviews.

I'm sure you've heard the standard dos and don'ts of interviewing, but I thought I'd share a few with you from my recent experience in recruiting for positions at my company.

1. If you're asked to talk about a challenging customer you helped in the past, do *not* share a story where a female customer offered to give you a b***job. And do *not* then go on to talk about another customer who wore a low-cut top and fainted, falling over so that her boobs popped out of her top. Especially if you're a male applicant meeting with a female interviewer. It's inappropriate on so many levels--and will, I guarantee, knock you out of the running faster than you can try to whip a $20 bill out of your wallet.

2. Don't lean your elbows on the interviewer's desk. Most especially do *not* rest your bosom on the interviewer's desk.

3. This one's a no-brainer, but I'm amazed at how often it happens: When you've scheduled an interview and can't make it or decide you don't want to make it or just can't get your lazy ass out of bed, call the interviewer and let her know. If you're a no-call/no-show for an interview, I have a long memory. You'll never work for my company as long as I'm there.

Now, I know there are horror stories from the *other* side of the desk. Come on -- share some of your interviewing experiences with me!

No comments: