Thursday, April 12, 2007

I've Been Giggled

Mrs. Giggles has reviewed SEASONS OF SEDUCTION VOLUME 1. While it didn't come off with a glowing review from her (who does?!?), I think I managed to at least hold my own. Here's the kinder parts of what she had to say:

"Ellora's Cavemen: Seasons of Seduction Volume 1 offers a mixed. [insert my snipe here--a mixed...what? She doesn't say.] The first three stories showcase bad comedy sex from authors who probably should consider looking into performing stand-up comedy instead of trying so hard to write erotic romances... The last three stories however are enjoyable to read. It's as if the person compiling these stories has a Mr Hyde and then a Dr Jekyll moment during the editorial process."

And, later on, she writes:

"...the three good stories that I enjoy reading do go some way in making up for the three horrid stories... I don't completely regret purchasing this anthology, but in hindsight I'd have done better purchasing the longer works of the authors of the three better stories."

All in all, she gave the anthology a 67 (out of 100)--making it an "average" read.

My story, Choosing Madison, is one of the last three she found enjoyable. Phew! But she apparently takes exception to my use of the words "mates" instead of "husband" and "bonding" instead of "marriage". But, come on! We're talking about people from a different planet--you think (if they really exist) that they're going to have the exact wording and phrases that we do? I'm trying to show the cultural differences here. AND she called my story a "cheesy space romance."

That's quite all right. I happen to like cheese. And I like space romances. How can you go wrong by putting them together? LOL

She goes on to say about Choosing Madison:

"...Still, this story actually has a story that flows well, the characters aren't walking braindead Slot A being filled by Tab B, and the heroine, especially, isn't a walking braindead like the heroines in the previous short stories."

That's just the nice part. If you want to read the entire review, click here. And I have two things to say:

1) Never ever did I even have the remotest thought of Fabio in my mind when I created my heroes, and 2) I never knew I had the power to put people off from watching a terrific movie (Sleepless in Seattle) by just referencing it in one of my books! Go me!!

And if you want to see how much you agree--or disagree--with Mrs. Giggles, you can pick up your own copy of SEASONS OF SEDUCTION VOLUME 1 at Ellora's Cave.


"Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." ~Henry James

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I say Pfft to Ms. Giggles Sherrill! Though I am a lil biased -you know I love all of your stories- I think she was just looking to get a rise of out the other writers of the anthology!!

And please tell me, what sci-fi romance doesn't have a bit of cheese in it somewhere?! Its apart of what attracts us to the story in the first place!! Congrats for coming out relatively unscathed!

Stephanie

Sherrill Quinn said...

Well, Stephanie, that's what I say, too. And thanks for the kind words--I'm so glad you enjoy my books. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't really listen to what Ms. Giggles says...I don't think I've ever seen her really like a book, or she nit piks. It's fantasy, there's room for leeway

But I'm glad yours was one that she enjoyed :D

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Marty. I don't really put a lot of stock into what she says, either. I mean, if she can rate Nora Roberts' books at a 50...!