Saturday, April 21, 2007

Bad News Followed By Good News

Last Saturday I received a familiar-looking envelope in the mail. It was addressed to me and had a return address from St. Martins Press. Ah. The SASE I'd included with the manuscript (BEYOND THE BEAST) I'd mailed to the senior editor. I braced myself as I opened the envelope, even though I knew what the letter inside contained. (If she'd been interested in the book, I'd have gotten a call, or an email, not a snail mail letter.) While she wrote that I'm a "really talented author, and this had some really compelling moments"...she went on to indicate she didn't "fall head over heels in love with it in the way I had hoped."

*Sigh* It would have been too easy, I guess, if the first full-length novel I wrote (85,000 words) was bought by the first editor I sent it to. Chin up, Sherrill. Rejection is all part of the game. Win some, lose some.

Well, there is good news with this, too. When I got home from work Thursday night, there was an email waiting for me from an agent at Writers House (the same folks who rep Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Laurell K. Hamilton and Linda Howard, to name a few), who'd requested the full manuscript (which I sent to her on March 17th). In this email, the agent wrote "I just finished reading BEYOND THE BEAST and wanted to tell you how much I loved it." She went on to say "I would love to talk to you about working together."

Happy feet!! She indicated in the email that she would call me on Friday (yesterday) and, though I carried my cell phone with me everywhere (including into the bathroom), the call never came. *pout* But I understand how things get very hectic very quickly, and the day gets away from you. Happens to me all the time.

Hopefully I'll hear from her on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed.


"The time is always right to do what is right." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you Sherrill :)

Sherrill Quinn said...

Thanks, Ali. I've got everything crossed that I can! LOL

Maya Reynolds said...

Sherrill: That post was the perfect example of how crazy-making this business is. One minute you're in the dumps and, the next, you're on top of the world.

Writers House is the big leagues. Congratulations!!! Keeping my fingers and toes crossed, too.

Sherrill Quinn said...

Ain't that right, Maya! I was pretty much on pins and needles the whole day yesterday, picking up my cell phone to check to make sure I didn't have a missed call, even though the thing never left my sight (or hearing). LOL

What's really cool about this is that Writers House is in my "A" list--I haven't made it to the "B" list yet. Yippee!!

Anonymous said...

*fingers crossed* Let's hope for good news soon :) Don't you just love the ups and downs of this business? Worse than PMS *lol*

Sherrill Quinn said...

LOL Marty. Yep. You can be lower than low one minute, and walking on the clouds the next.