Wednesday, September 15, 2010

President Obama, Author

This November, Knopf Books for Young Readers will publish Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters, a picture book by President Barack Obama, and illustrated by Loren Long. The book is due to release on November 15th with purportedly a 500,000-copy first printing. The hardcover and ebook editions, available simultaneously, will both carry a retail price of $17.99. You can read more here.

I don't have an issue with President Obama writing a book. (This was finished prior to him taking office, not that that matters, either.) Of Thee I Sing is a tribute to Americans and to “the ideals that have shaped our nation.” I think it's a wonderful idea.

What I have a problem with is that the hardcover and ebook editions will cost the same. This is a children's book that is going to retail for almost $18. Seriously?!? It's wonderful that the proceeds will go into a fund for the children of deceased and disabled veterans. I commend the publisher for that. But... $18 for an ebook? Really?

No comments: