Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tipsy Tuesday

People have asked me how I did it. How did I write and get published while also working? Well, let me say: you'll never "find" the time to write. If you want to be published, you have to make time to write (and market). You have to treat your writing like a job--because it is.

At least, if you're serious about it, that's what has to happen.

"But there's no time," you might say. Make the time, I repeat. If you add an hour a day of writing, you must subtract something else. Unless you decide specifically on what you'll cut out to make time for writing, one of two things will happen:

1) You won't write.
2) You'll rob some other activity by default.

It's better if you choose.

And don't assume your writing has to come all in one sitting. You might have to settle for two or three short sessions a day, at least at first.

One thing I did: I blocked off time on my calendar--made an appointment with myself. Then I kept it.

Elmore Leonard, author of a boatload of successful novels, many of which have been made into movies (Get Shorty, Jackie Brown, etc.), began writing fiction while still working full time at an ad agency.

Ernest Gaines (The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, A Lesson Before Dying) wrote on his lunch hour, often using the paper sack his lunch came in for his rough drafts.

Ralph McInerny, author of the Father Dowling mysteries, took care of his family and a full-time job at Notre Dame before writing his fiction from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m every night.

They made time for their writing. You can, too.

And today's a great day to start!

No comments: