Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Tipsy Tuesday

One thing that many writers don't think about (and very shy writers don't like to think about) is that--sooner or later--you'll have to speak in public.

*Horror!*

When you make promotional efforts, it's less about promoting your book(s) and more about promoting yourself, whether you realize it or not. Because you want people to keep buying your books each time a new one releases. While a lot can be done online through readers loops, that's still a relatively small group of people you're reaching. You also need to be prepared to do some face-to-face promotion. And if you can do it as part of a group, it's easier.

I had my panel discussion as part of the Pima County Library's Amore and More group of talks this past Saturday. I had some pre-meeting jitters (I always do), but once we got started (and I went first--best to get it out of the way!) the nerves faded. We had a brilliant time.

My tip for today--don't shy away from these opportunities. While you may never completely get over your fears, it does get easier the more you do it.

2 comments:

Colleen Love said...

Wha...?? You mean as in stand up in front of people and coherently speak words?? Then to force your imagination to picture people naked wearing black socks, so you can start sweating and forget what you were going to say?? Only to have someone ask you why you write what you do or where do you get your ideas, and you're thinking you have to admit you're a deviant and can't help yourself?? But then you just say, I don't know, to stay safe?? lol

DOH! I quit!!

Can I bribe a friend to do it for me? lol

Thanks for the warning, Sherrill! lol

Hope tomorrow gets here quick so I can excersize my deviant brain reading your story. lol

Hugs
Colleen

Sherrill Quinn said...

Colleen, I never imagine people nekkid--that's just too creepy to me. LOL And for the record, we stayed seated. :)