Thursday, August 16, 2007

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

I think I've blogged about this before, but since it's come back into the news, I feel the need to give my 2 cents' worth.

"If I Did It" by OJ Simpson is again going to be published. Bookstores are still coming to decisions about whether they'll carry the book. Some have said they won't because they know their customers will be offended. Others have said they don't believe in censorship of any kind and so will carry the book, and let customers' wallets make a statement.

When this book was first announced, both the Goldman and Brown families were outraged and up in arms. Now, with the proceeds of the book basically going to the Goldmans as part of the civil settlement they won against Simpson, they've put their support behind the book. The Browns, especially Nicole's sister Denise, are, to put it mildly, upset. For anyone to profit from Ron and Nicole's deaths is unconscionable. But from what I've read, Mr. Goldman has suggested that Simpson indicts himself in the book.

Not that anything can be done about it now.

As the title of this post suggests, just because there's a story to write doesn't mean it should be written. There wouldn't be this furor I'm sure there will be people who'll buy the book for the morbid fascination of it. I won't be one of them.

No comments: